On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 09:22:00AM -0600, Brian Paul wrote:
> Ian Romanick wrote:
> > Hello all.
> >
> > I noticed that NV_texture_rectangle appeared in the R100 driver string after
> > then recent R200 merge.  I did some looking around, and found that it is
> > explicitly enabled in the R200 driver and has code to support rectangular
> > textures.  It seems that it is enabled by default in Mesa.  Is this correct?
>
> It's enabled for the R200 driver and software rendering only.

That may be the desired result, but extras/Mesa/src/extensions.c, line 113
tells me differently:

    { ON,  "GL_NV_texture_rectangle",  F(NV_texture_rectangle) },

It shows up in the extension string from glxinfo on the R100 driver.

> > I didn't dig deep enough in Mesa to see if it would somehow automatically
> > convert a rectangle to a power-of-two, so this might be okay.
>
> It does not do that.  The texture targets GL_TEXTURE_2D and
> GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_NV are distinct.

Okay.  That's what I figured.  Thanks for saving my dig time. :)

[snip]

> Simulating NPOT textures with conventional targets could be pretty tricky.
> Note that NPOT texture coordinates range from [0,Width]x[0,Height], not
> [0,1]x[0,1] as normal textures do.  Some clamp/repeat modes aren't supported
> either.

Right.  Mipmap (and ansio?) filter modes are also forbidden.  I gave this a
bit more thought after my last message.  I don't think this is something
that Mesa could automatically do.  It would have to be done on a per-driver
basis.  You'd have to change the texture upload routines (easy) and the emit
routines (hard).  If NV_texture_rectangle still used [0,1]x[0,1], it would
be pretty easy.

--
Smile!  http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap990315.html