On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 10:33:11AM -0700, Russ Dill wrote:
[...]
>> But I see rough times ahead for the binary snapshots. I surely can't make
>> one for each system out there. And if the others distros don't also
>> upgrade to glic-2.3 then I think the best is to completely stop the
>> snapshots builds and replace them with a nice set of scripts which
>> people can use to make their own customized snapshot.
>
>upgrade to glibc-2.3? technically, such a thing doesn't exist yet, so to
>ask every distro to upgrade to it... redhat is making cvs snapshots of
>glibc, and distributing those instead of patching important bugs in the
>release version, and using that. CVS versions of software often contain
>new bugs and even security vulnerabilities, it is far more prudent to
>work with a release version of such a major system component. Because of
>this, most distros will probably wait until it becomes a release until
>they include it.

I agree that that would be a cleaner approach.

Anyway my comments above weren't actually refering to this unreleased
version. I was referring to the point when glibc-2.3 would be released
and adopted by other distributions. But as Michel Danzer said, we can
stick to produce glibc-2.2.5 compiled snapshots for a little longer as
they should work both on glibc-2.2.x as well as glibc-2.3.x. gcc
shouldn't be a problem either as there is no C++ code in the DRI
drivers.

>I really do see your frustration, as now anyone who develops software on
>redhat (at least those that keep up with redhat) cannot release binaries
>and expect them to work on anyone elses system. You don't need to worry
>about compiling for every system out there, just what is current
>release.
>
>As far as actually getting this done, redhat has provided cross compiler
>rpms in the past, so you may be able to get these, and cross compile for
>glibc2.2. I don't see a rough time for binary snapshots, just a rough
>time for developers using cvs snapshots of glibc

Unfortunately it does provide compat-gcc packages but not glibc ones.

Jose Fonseca