Hi all,

D S and I discovered that Mandrake 9.0 includes Gatos code in their
Xserver. I think this is the reason for the problems Mandrake 9.0 users
are experiencing with binary snapshots. Up to now the only solution
seems to be to compile DRI yourself. A suitable custom binary snapshot
(if anyone wants to make one) would probably have to replace the 2D ati
drivers with clean (non-gatos) ones.

Best regards,
   Felix

On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 17:20:17 -0400
Robert Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've noticed some people saying that it's almost impossible to get DRI
> Running on Mandrake 9. Well, they're right. *Almost* impossible.
>
> The hardware:  Athlon 2000+ (1.6G). Radeon 8500 (Identified as 'ATI
> Radeon 8500 QL'). Standard Mandrake .19-mdk-whatever kernel.
>
> DRI Does Not Work with Mandrake 9 out of the box. glxinfo will not say
> Yes to direct rendering no matter what you do.
>
> The first issue was an inability to insert the kernel module, due to
> unmet dependencies. I've had this happen before with mandrake Kernels,
> so I installed a clean 2.4.19.  After recompiling, I re-inserted and
> started on the long and strange saga of SegV's when starting X.
>
> After reading some hints on the users lists, it was mentioned that GCC
> 3.2 is shipped with mandrake, and for those that don't know, it's pretty
> much binary-incompatible with things compiled with previous versions of GCC.
>
> Current State: Clean 2.4.19 kernel, gcc 3.2.
>
> I had to download the DRI X source, and compile and install the X
> Server. The module inserted cleanly, and, X started up, to my surprise.
> I was getting quite sick of having to reboot the machine 8-)
>
> I'm quite happy to package up a set of binaries if anyone wants them -
> but, someone will need to tell me which, specific, binaries are going to
> be needed 8-)
>
> The bug report I mentioned.  In the source package, 'xf86cfg' is trying
> to link to libXpm.a -- this doesn't exist in the source, nor does it
> seem to exist anywhere in the Mandrake distribution (much to my
> surprise).  I ended up making an empty libXpm myself, and sticking it in
> /usr/lib, and that seemed to work.
>
> (For those that want to do it themselves --
> root# touch foo.c
> root# gcc -c foo.c
> root# ar -r /usr/lib/libXpm.a foo.o
> )
>
> There are some c++ files, that try to be compiled with 'c++' - there is
> no such beast (this, I think, is a mandrake-ism. There should be.) -
> only g++.  Mandrake users:
>
> ln -s /etc/alternatives/g++ /etc/alternatives/c++
>
> fixes it.
>
> A 'make World' should then quite happily work, without any errors. A
> 'make install' installs everything in the right place, -except- for the
> kernel module.
>
> ./build/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel/radeon.o
> (or whatever your kernel driver should be)
>
> should be copied to /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel -- it doesn't matter
> where you put it, depmod -a sorts it out.
>
> A 'startx' will then fire up X, and 'glxinfo' now reports:
>
> [root@linuxrob DRI]# glxinfo
> name of display: :0.0
> r200CreateScreen
> display: :0  screen: 0
> direct rendering: Yes
> server glx vendor string: SGI
> server glx version string: 1.2
> server glx extensions:
> [...etc etc etc...]
>
> [root@linuxrob DRI]# glxgears
> [...]

__Tschüß_______\_6 6_/___/__ \___/__ \___/___\___You can do anything,___
_____Felix_______\Ä/\ \_____\ \_____\ \______U___just not everything____
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    >o<__/   \___/   \___/        at the same time!