On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 01:48:35PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> Around 13 o'clock on Oct 22, Ian Romanick wrote:
>
> > I would recommend an audit then a copy, with the DMA buffer being setup as
> > non-cached, write combining memory (like AGP mapped memory).
>
> Non-cached write combining memory doesn't go through the regular cache
> buffers and is significantly slower than cached writes; that's one of the
> reasons AGP writes are so slow.  Cached writes will force cacheline fills,
> which will double the amount of data transfered when doing the copies.

I always thought that was the point of write combining.  If you have a 64KB
DMA buffer to copy & verify, that will flush a lot of data out of your
cache.  You especially have to consider that most systems that are likely to
have a mach64 based card will be K6-2, Celeron, or G3 based where the caches
are very small.

--
Smile!  http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap990315.html