D. Hageman wrote:
I have a solution to why I was running into problems with getting my Radeon 9000 in my laptop working. One of those things that when you realize what is going on - you feel really silly ;-)
The issue was that it wasn't using the r200 driver, but rather the standard radeon driver - which will *not* work. The r200 driver seems to work fairly well. I haven't done any major benchmark or testing, but it does render to the screen and most importantly - it doesn't hard lock my laptop. Attached is an addition to Scott Harrison's patch for the Radeon 9000 that will add CHIP_FAMILY_M9 to the list of chipsets that can use the r200 driver.

Note: This diff is from the most recent "unified" ATI driver in the main XFree86 trunk, so the line numbers may be off a couple of lines for the DRI tree.
OK, I've committed this.

Keith