In the past few months I've been noticing 2 problems with my A7M266-D
(dual athlon) computer (2 processors installed) with its ATI Radeon
7500 gfx card:

1) Whenever I try to burn CD's at x20 it falls over very quickly
(about 12MBytes).  Burning them at x8 at least gives me a chance of
backing things up but it wasn't perfect.

2) Whenever heavy disk IO (for example when Debian reads its package
database) is performed the whole of X hangs for tens of seconds, but
things like alsaplayer keep playing (and don't skip a beat).

Anyway, I finally got fed up of this as I was sure it didn't use
to be this bad - so I decided to investigate.

I was currently using 2.4.20-rc2-ac3 + ALSA + CVS DRI. I went back to
the old installation of 2.4.19-pre5-ac3 and everything works fine (this
also had ALSA and CVS DRI from about May). I then updated ALSA & DRI
to current, and it was back to its old bad behaviour. So I tried
2.4.20-rc3 with the radeon.o DRM module it comes with (+ the ALSA
drivers) and everything works fine (well, apart from DRI!). Stopping
X, unloading the DRM module, insert the latest CVS version and start up X
again and we are back to not being able to write CD's again.

Any comments/ideas?

Feel free to ask me for any additional information/testing you need
(although I'm rapidly running out of blank CD's!).

Thanks,

Matt