Am Dienstag, 26. November 2002 10:03 schrieb Keith Whitwell:
> Dieter Nützel wrote:
> > 1. start X or system start (init 5)
> > 2. rcxdm stop
> > 3. rrmod radeon
> > 4. restart X (rcxdm start)
> >
> > What happens:
> > * Screen corruption in several upper lines (the KDE panel)
> > * a copy of the graphical screen on console 1, 2, 3, etc. but without
> > mouse or anything else but the command line works (!) without seeing it *
> > Alt+F7 first graphics screen with mouse but nothing else working
> >
> > All branches so far.
> >
> > Initialization problem?
>
> I do this all the time and have never seen anything.  I guess I insmod it
> again afterwards, but I doubt that makes much difference (compared to
> letting the X server do it)

After Nicholas reply I tested again and it works (radeon.o) but not if I
"modprobe -r radeon" or do "rmmod -a" which remove agpgart.o, too.
So it could be that AGPGART is the real problem, here.

Now it is more worse if agpgart.o would be removed and loaded, again.
Retested with 2.4.19-ac5 and 2.5.47-mm1 (both with kernel DRM module, 1.6.0
backup mode). Monitor went black (no signal) and reboot needed.

Next I'll try 2.5.49-mm1. Linus included the mesa-4-1 DRM stuff since 2.5.48
but module support is under heavy rework.

-Dieter