Keith Whitwell wrote:

I suspect that will fix the texture problems. Somebody (that actually has
Rage128 hardware!) should go through and eliminate the new_state field from
r128_context altogether. I will make similar changes to the MGA driver. It
would be nice to have fundamental things, like tracking state changes, as
similar as possible across the various drivers. It makes it easier to move
from driver-to-driver to fix bugs and make enhancements.

This dates from Mesa 3.x where the mesa state tracking mechanism was designed around the software rasterizer & useless for anything else.
Hmm that sounds kindof negative. Lets rephase:

Yes, in the olden days, it was necessary for the driver to implement a parallel set of state flags to Mesa's. Since then Mesa's has been made a lot more robust and is now sufficiently good that drivers no longer need to do this.

Keith