On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 05:33:42PM -0800, Ian Romanick wrote:
> What follows is the collected requirements for the new DRI memory
> manager.  This list is the product of several discussions between Brian,
> Keith, Allen, and myself several months ago.  After the list, I have
> included some of my thoughts on the big picture that I see from these
> requirements.
>
> 1. Single-copy textures
>
> Right now each texture exists in two or three places.  There is a copy
> in on-card or AGP memory, in system memory (managed by the driver), and
> in application memory.  Any solution should be able to eliminate one or
> two of those copies.

BTW, since you are looking into this, have you thought about graphic
chips which can do MMU like tricks. I am not sure if the current set of
graphic chips the DRI runs on do this kind of stuff, but they well may
in the future. I know the gamma drm module use the gamma's virtual
memory table to not need to do virtual<->physical conversion. But more
importantly to you, altough there is not yet a DRI driver for it, the
3Dlabs permedia3 can use virtual memory for its textures. That is you
can basically set up the graphic boards memory as a cache memory, and
have the the MMU-like unit swap the memory pages from host memory, using
i suppose its own page replacement algorithm.

Friendly,

Sven Luther