So, I was thinking about some CPUs that are about to hit the market and how they will interact with DRI. The main issue that I came across was with x86-64. When x86-64 systems roll of the line, they'll (eventually?) have 64-bit kernel support and (for legacy apps) 32-bit user-mode support.

My question is, what are the gottchas of having the DRM run in a 64-bit kernel and the rest of the driver run in either a 32-bit application or a 64-bit application? Will it even matter? If it will matter, is there anything we can start doing now to soften the blow?

Linus, do you have any thoughts on this issue?