Hi,

I have a problem to report. When playing wolfenstein (RTCW, exactly) on ATi powered 8500LE card with XFree86-4.2.99.4-20030129.1 (I believe this is the current CVS, as packaged current in RH's rawhide), game hangs for a second when entering new rooms. Also, starting a new level takes unusually long time. These problems did not exist when I used dri.sf.net snapshots in August-September 2002. My first guess here is something wrong either with card memory management or with the texture
upload. The delays remain even after changing the quality settings.

FWIW, mode switching (geometry and texture detail) work only if the Xserver is started with the same resolution as used later by the game (i.e. if the game uses 800x600, XF86Config should contain only Mode "800x600"). This may RTCW bug, though.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
XFree86-4.2.99.4-20030129.1

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Run RTCW with normal quality settings. Try opening a door (the tram station, third level, is particularly good test case). The computer can hang for a second, and the sound will stutter like on damaged CD.

Actual Results: The computer can hang for a second, and the sound will stutter like on damaged CD. Frame rate drops down from 100fps to 1. It can be very difficult to aim and shoot in such a situation. :-)

This is a regression wrt September 2002. I thought it might have been connected with introduction of RandR, but since I unsuccesfully tried playing with the resolution, I am not sure any longer. dmesg reports:
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
agpgart: Detected Via Apollo Pro KT266 chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
[drm] AGP 0.99 on VIA Apollo KT133 @ 0xe0000000 64MB
[drm] Initialized radeon 1.7.0 20020828 on minor 0
[drm] Loading R200 Microcode

graphics card shares IRQ with a network card but I do not think this is a problem.

Decreasing color depth from 24 to 16 helps considerably to shorten delays. It takes the image more coarse, too. It looks like half of the memory on the card gets wasted.

If you need more info, just ask.

Pawel

--
Pawel Salek