I posted this on the XFree86 list, but was refered here instead.

I'm getting ready to rebuild my system from scratch and am pondering which
card to put into it.

1) a 3DLabs GVX1 AGP card. This works fine in 2D but the 3D support is still
pending. I would prefer to work with this card as I'm very interested in 3D
stuff and plan to get 3D glasses (one day ;-)

2) an ATI Rage128 card. I understand that this does have 3D support, but
would it warrant getting rid of hte GVX card? I think there should be much
better capabilities in the GVX1 card. Plus, the ATI card does not work with
3D glasses.

Unfortunately, I've only one box with AGP, my regular desktop, though I also
have a PCI version of the GVX card. That is in my daughters PC.

I'm not much of a programmer, yet, but I am working on it. See
homepage.eircom.net/johngay/frames.html
for an example of the limits of my C knowledge. I was hoping that getting
inside the gamma and pm3 code could be enlightening, eventually.

Cheers,

        John Gay