On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 09:58:41PM -0500, Leif Delgass wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, [iso-8859-15] José Fonseca wrote:
> > It's now official: I'm coding on this. I'm adding the _ioctl suffix to
> > most IOCTLs (e.g., agp_alloc -> agp_alloc_ioctl) to leave to the
> > agp_alloc for internal DRM usage, and writing a set of pci_* to wrap the
> > pci_*_consistent and pci_pool_* API in the Linux.
> >
> > Nothing of this will break binary compatability and will allow one to
> > [optionally] setup all main DMA buffers from within DRM_IOCTL_DMA IOCTL
> > instead of the X server. Of course that I would like to pursue this idea
> > in Mach64 driver.
>
> I'll be interested to see what you come up with.  How much of the setup in
> atidri.c were you thinking of moving to the kernel?  We'd still need to
> allow for XF86Config options dealing with the AGP aperture and buffer
> region size(s), as well as passing a handles back to the Xserver for the
> AGP aperture (to setup the AGP registers) and the AGP texture map
> (although maybe the Mesa client could just get it with a get_param ioctl).
> If the Xserver does it, it needs to leave space for the private buffers in
> AGP when calculating the region sizes/offsets.

ATIDRIAddBuffers and ATIDRIMapBuffers will cease to exist as the
drmAddBufs and drmMapBufs should be considered deprecated. This will be
done in the DRM but I'll add a new APIs to allow do this from X if ever
wanted.

ATIDRIAgpInit will just process XF86Config options. The AGP setup and
the AGP register initialization can both be done in the DRM.

Everything related with the onboard will remain to be done on XFree86,
at least for the time being. The onboard memory managament will soon
have to be rethinked, either for Ian Romanick's texmem-2 or for XFree86
RandR frambuffer resizing.

> > BTW, is it OK to enable snapshots from the 0-0-6 branch instead?
>
> I think that would be fine, but I think that might mean that the extras
> package will be required too.

I was forgetting about that. It's better not to then...

> BTW, what's the status of the trunk snaphots?  Are we waiting for 4.3.0
> to start those again?

Yep, 4.3.0 to be released and to be adopted by the main distros. Many
distros already have made 4.2.99.* available so it shouldn't take long.

José Fonseca