On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 03:27:21PM -0800, Ian Romanick wrote:
> >Now, if an OpenGL application has a pile of textures already
> >compressed with the S3TC algorithm, then I don't understand why the
> >dri drivers can't simply offer the S3TC interfaces to the hardware,
> >pass the compressed textures to the hardware and let the hardware get
> >on with its licensed decompression of the textures as required.
> >Likewise, if the OpenGL application passes compressed textures to the
> >S3TC API then how it gets hold of the compressed textures in the first
> >place is it's own responsibility -- the OpenGL API just passes them
> >on.
>
> Look at the ARB_texture_compression and EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
> specs again.  You can specify uncompressed textures and have the driver
> compress the AND you can specify compressed textures and have the driver
> decompress them (to read them back into the application).  For example,
> Quake3 can use the S3's vendor-specific extension (can't remember the
> name of it right now), but it does NOT have ANY textures pre-compressed.
>   It expects the driver to do the work.

Is there not a way to work around this ?

If the hardware doesn't support s3tc, then the driver simply don't
advertize the that it can handle s3tc textures, so you would get out of
the need to decompress the textures in the driver. On the other hand, if
it is not possible to tell the app that you don't know how to compress
textures, and are asked for it, then you just send the texture
uncompressed or something such.

Ideally, there would be a way to tell the apps that you can receive and
use s3tc compressed textures, but not uncompress them yourself.

Friendly,

Sven Luther