On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 10:55:30PM +0100, Felix Kühling wrote:
> Now we could make the command line tool (and the corresponding libGL
> bits) a bit more sophisticated. With an X connection we can ask for
> the driver name and configuration of any screen. That would enable a
> graphical configuration tool to configure all screens, not just the
> one it's running on. Without an X connection we can still get the
> configuration of a specific driver as you explained above. That would
> be mainly usefull for remote administration, where no local X
> connection is available. José, is that what you meant with offline
> mode?

Yes, no local X connection is actually a much better choice of words.

> I'll make the conclusions from this thread a new section in the next
> version of the design document. To me it looks like we got a pretty
> good picture what the command line tool will do. Any more comments on
> that subject?

Just the comment that spite of the decision to not storying the location
of the DRI drivers in the config file (for later use when there is no
local X connect available), any console/GUI tool which wants to be able
to function properly in those circunstances (and not depend on X being
installed on /usr/X11R6/) can still do it on its own (by storing that
information on its own configuration file), if its author decides that's
really important. So there's no loss here.

José Fonseca