On Die, 2003-02-25 at 01:24, Jonathan Thambidurai wrote:

> I had a look at radeon_driver.c.  The first thing that drew my attention
> was the the conditional that was prefixed by
>
> /* Xinerama has sync problem with DRI, disable it for now */
>
> Does this imply that everything is set up already and there is some bug
> that must be ironed out?

I'm afraid not. Even if the server worked with DRI and Xinerama enabled
(AFAIK the driver explicitly disables the DRI with multiple screens
anyway), that wouldn't mean 3D acceleration would work because the 3D
driver has no notion of multihead yet. That's why multiple heads as
viewports into a single screen would by far be the easiest way to get
working 3D acceleration with multihead.

> My problem, however, comes earlier in the file.  DRI is disabled for me
> at the part that says "Static buffer allocation failed ...".  For the
> initialization of each screen, the log file says it needs at least (about)
> 9 MB of memory.  I have only 16 MB onboard, though the AGP aperture goes up
> to 64 MB (I'm using the texmem branch).  Has the dynamic allocation of back
> and depth buffers been implemented yet?

No. The radeon driver now only reserves the additional space when there
are 3D contexts, but they still take up the same space.

The driver now has an option to disable the back buffer, but I'm not
sure that's very funny.