On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 03:47:14PM -0800, Ian Romanick wrote:
> José Fonseca wrote:
> >Multiple inheritance and virtual inheritance is, IMHO, essential to
> >design reusable objects for the drivers. Without this and no templates,
> >there wouldn't be much difference between were we stand now.

Correction: I was confusing virtual inheritance with virtual
methods in general...

I was planning to use multiple inheritance, but this can be easily
avoided. Virtual inheritance only make sense with multiple inheritance
so it's not important.

> The reason pure-virtual methods were removed is because the compiler has
> to emit code to check for NULL method pointers.  I tend to agree with
> this rationalle.  It's also easilly worked around in a way that doesn't
> require build-in compiler NULL-pointer checking.  In think with more
> recentl compiler technology this may be less of an issue that it once was.

Pure-virtual methods aren't removed in the EC++ standard. But those
NULL-pointer checking can be avoided then by simply definining a no-op
of those methods.

In summary, we can follow a few EC++ guidelines to keep the genereated
code clean and efficient, but templates is out of question here.
The only way to avoid them would be by replacing templates by generic
functions with abstract arguments, and that would suck bigtime.

José Fonseca