Hi,

I reported some time ago (Sat, 1 Feb 2003 22:38:44 +0100, message-id: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) that return to Castle Wolfenstein stutters with radeon 8500. The problem was traced to large memory usage by the game. Back then, I did not know whether it was a problem with the game or with XFree.

Today, I have run a molecular visualisation program on a RNA strand (I usually deal with slightly smaller molecules) and I was surprised when I noticed that the process occupied more than 200MB of memory. Disabling the visualisation mode reduced the memory usage to mere 8MB. So, the 200MB memory is basically used by a very simple display list generation that for the molecule in question creates a 1336 GL_QUAD_STRIP's with total 34736 glVertex3f vertexes (26 vertexes per strip) and 1212 GL_TRIANGLES with 465408 total glVertex3fv vertexes (384 per glBegin/glEnd group) - which seem like reasonable values.

My primary suspect is then XFree86, or exactly GL library. I thought I would start reporting the problem here first, particulary because I get following message in dmesg:
[drm:radeon_lock_take] *ERROR* 4 holds heavyweight lock

I will appreciate any redirection to more appriopriate lists, if needed.

Pawel
--
Pawel Salek
http://www.theochem.kth.se/~pawsa/