Martin Spott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Keith Whitwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> CVSROOT:     /cvsroot/dri
>> Module name: xc
>> Repository:  xc/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati/
>> Changes by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]       03/03/12 05:54:45

>> Log message:
>>   Fix recycle lockup (Michel Danzer)

>> Modified files:
>>       xc/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati/:        Tag: mesa-4-0-4-branch
>>         radeon_dri.c

> Not bad - this fixes all crash scenarios I had with my Radeon. This makes
> not only FlightGear run stable but also fixes the freeze with 'Solace'
> (wildly moving the output window over the screen).

Yup, now the Radeon X server survives 5 simultaneous 'glxgears' during
startup of 'FlightGear' in the "freeze Radeon X server" configuration while
moving 'Solace' over the screen. Am I the only one who is now happy with the
stability of the X server or does anyone have similar experience ?

Now the only apparent complication leftover is about 'dark lightning' in
FlightGear. At the risk of telling an old tale I'd dare to post some words
that I already used to annoy other members of this list  ;-)

Dieter N?tzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 4. März 2003 20:17 schrieb Martin Spott:

>> P.S.: There's still the "dark lightning" issue with FG on Radeon ....  ;-))

> Are all your TCL colors right?

No, they're still in 'bad shape' (TM). Curt Olson once pointed to a possible
bug in the TCL implementation and there are signs he might be right.

When I start at 11 AM local time usually the terrain looks properly
illuminated. Here you can get an idea how it should look like:

http://www.de.flightgear.org/images/j3cub-departing-KNOW.jpg

When you enable TCL, take off, bank the plane about 120 degree clockwise
(yes, then you're pretty much flying top-down) and watch straight out of the
cockpit, then you also see pretty illuminated terrain. How much you have to
turn the plane to achieve this depends on the time of day !
I can achieve similar effect by setting the whole terrain to be shining
without external light source (like the sun) in FlightGear - even at night,
this looks cool ;-)

Now Curt suggests that probably the TCL code does not handle the light
source (sun) position properly - this would explain why the terrain appears
to be shining throuh in certain directions, variying with the time of day.
I took a screenshot which probably emphasizes this idea:

http://document.ihg.uni-duisburg.de/bitmap/Radeon/Illumination_01.png

This is taken at 11 AM local time in April - it looks pretty much the same
in August. As you can see the lower right side of the body is well
illuminated, even the fillet between the right wing and the body is
bright. The terrain instead is hardly illuminated - it looks like the
sun to be shining from below the surface,

Thanks for your attention,
        Martin.