On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Keith Whitwell wrote:

> Dave Airlie wrote:
> > I've just had the misfortune of having my NFSROOT system (lots of network
> > interrupts), have its card sharing interrupts with the i810 graphics..
> > once I run anything 3d the kernel oops..
> >
> > The attached patch contains the quick fix which is to check in thr irq
> > handler if dev->dev_private is NULL or not before going using it .. also a
> > udelay patch included which I think the DRI tree has but the LK one
> > doesn't....(arrgg too many trees :-)..
> >
> > I've attached a second patch to
> > xc/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/i810/i810_dri.c that may also
> > fix the problem but which I haven't tested,
> >
> > What happens is the DMA cleanup occurs which frees the private data, and
> > an interrupt comes in from the network card most likely but the i810
> > driver is let know as the IRQ hasn't been deregistered yet..
> >
> > This issue also will affect the i830 and gamma (not that anyone cares) but
> > maybe others as well as my DRI tree is old enough at this stage....
>
> What codebase is this patch against?  I was of the opinion that we'd actually
> eliminated the use of interrupts from the i810 driver.
>
> Keith

It looks like the i810 and i830 drm modules in the 2.4.x kernel tree still
use interrupts.  In any case, I think the patch against i810/i830_dri.c
should be applied so we have a drmCtlUninstHandler to match the
drmCtlInstHandler -- which is there for backward compatibility with older
drm modules.  Also, this would be used if vblank support is added for
i810/i830.

--
Leif Delgass
http://www.retinalburn.net