Ian Romanick wrote:

Before going down that road we'd want to sit down with oprofile and a bunch of applications to decide which sets of state we wanted to tune for. IMHO, we'd be better to spend our time writing a highly optimized just-in-time compiler for ARB_vertex_program. Then we could just write vertex programs for the different "important" state vectors and let the compiler generate the super-loop. Of course, there are still "issues" with vertex programs. :(

Oprofile doesn't do a good job on runtime-generated code, yet. I guess they're getting a bit more stabilized now, so it might be time to bring up the idea/issue/problem with them... I'm not sure what solution there could be, especially as oprofile isn't really tied to a single run of a program.

Keith