I've been thinking of trying to implement an XV adapter using OpenGL
and MESA_ycbcr_texture for YUV or regular RGB textures for RGB video.
This would not only provide a default Xv adapter (in the event that the
hw didn't have one) or it would provide hw accelerated video playback
on hw that supports the appropriate OGL extensions.  You would also not
be limited to a single window like most hardware that only provides a
single overlay.  I mentioned this a while back, but I hadn't had much
time to think about it.  I'm new to openGL so I'm still trying to
figure out what all would be involved.  From what I've read traditional
openGL textures have to be a power of 2 and be RGB.  MESA_ycbcr_texture
seems to handle the YUV colorspace, and it perhaps NV_texture_rectangle
allows you to get around the power of 2 issue.  Am I even on the right
track here?

It would be written as an xfree86 modules like "v4l."  The module would
then accept data from Xv clients but rather than writing the data to
the overlay hardware, it would act like an openGL client and write the
data to the screen using an RGB or YUV texture.

The question is, can an xfree86 module be an opengl/DRI client?
Unfortunately, i'm more familiar with the 2D aspects of xfree86.  I'm
still learning about opengl programming and the 3D side of the
hardware.
I need to decide how to best map the Xv functions to their OGL
implementation.  An comments on the feasibility of this or how I would
best proceed are welcome.

Thanks,

Alex