Quoting Brian Paul ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> Denis Oliver Kropp wrote:
> >Quoting Brian Paul ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> >>By "DRIMesaCreateContext" do you really mean "XF86DRICreateContext"?
> >>The former doesn't exist.
> >

> >I really meant DRIMesaCreateContext which doesn't exist yet,
> >but will be similar to what dri_util.c currently does in the
> >embedded branch.
> >
> >XF86 GLX/DRI should be layered on top of that.
>
> OK, this is news to me.  I don't recall seeing anything about a new
> public DRI interface.

With the tree reorg there was a discussion about making DRI windowing system
independent. Along these lines I modified dri_util.c (embedded version) and
the drivers to be used by MiniGLX and DirectFB, two windowing systems in
terms of DRI.
DirectFB applications use the dynamically loaded DirectFBGL for context
creation etc. while DirectFBGL is linked against Mesa and uses the functions
from dri_util.c.
Until now it's just a proof-of-concept and dri_util.c looks odd, but I would
like to design a public DRI interface from scratch that will be used by all
windowing systems for hardware accelerated OpenGL. Sure, it's not an interface
for applications in such an environment, these will use the windowing system
specific API like glX, MiniGLX or DirectFBGL.

> >>I'm not fully aware of what's all in the embedded branches but in the
> >>DRI tree:
> >>
> >>1. The dri_util.c code gets linked into each of the DRI driver
> >>modules.  It should probably go into drivers/dri/common/
> >

> >As mentioned above dri_util.c should become the public API of DRI Mesa,
> >therefore it should go into drivers/dri/api/ for now.
>
> I'd like to review this new API before you go too far with it.  Do you
> have a design doc or rough spec yet?

The current state is a minimal modification of the embedded dri_util.c
to proof that it's possible at all (and very well working).

With these changes and the needs of GLX, MiniGLX and DirectFB in mind
I want to propose and discuss a new API and driver architecture (DRI side).

I don't have anything written yet.

> Also, this new API probably should not be packed as libGL.so since on
> Unix/X-oriented systems libGL.so is expected to support the GLX interface.

After porting GLX to the new API the libGL.so would be packaged with both
the new API and GLX on top of it.

> >>2. The XF86DRI*() functions (which I think you alluded to) in
> >>XF86dri.c get compiled into libGL.  For now, XF86dri.c and all the
> >>other DRI libGL files will stay in the DRI tree.
> >

> >...until they go into src/glx.
> >

> >>3. A set of files similar to those in (2) implement the
> >>subset/embedded MiniGLX libGL library.  They'll be in src/miniglx/
> >

> >Right, but I want to build a libGL without MiniGLX, just with DRI.
>
> Do you think it will be feasible for this new DRI interface to work
> with drivers not based on Mesa?  If so, the code should not be in the
> src/mesa/ subtree.

What do you mean by "drivers not based on Mesa"?

--
Best regards,
  Denis Oliver Kropp

                            Convergence GmbH