Reason I ask is, DRI (xc cvs) no-longer supports my Radeon 9000 PCI  (with or without DRI enabled), but did 6-8 months) ago. XFree86 (xc cvs) does have 2D support for it atleast, although a little too brightly.

The issue is with the DDC not being detected  in DRI but it is in XFree86. Even setting the DCC mode in the config doesn't work. This results in DRI's 2D driver setting lower horizontal and vertical sync rates for the monitor and ignores the ones in the config, and eventually failing because the modes in the config don't match up for the sync rates it tries to use.

The same config works for XFree86 xc cvs.