On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 11:18:02 -0700 (PDT)
"Jorge Luis Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> (Moderator please ignore duplicate message -- I sent it from the wrong
> account -- sorry)
>
> Hello,
>

> I have a Radeon 9000 64 MB DDR AGP card and I've been running it on a
> 2Ghz Intel Pentium IV machine running the latest madrake
> distribution.
>

> I've installed the latest CVS on my machine (well as of yesterday) and I've
> notice something strange.  When disabling HW TCL (R200_NO_TCL) I seem
> to get faster frame rates.  This is most noticeable when running the
> atlantis demo (800x600) especially if you increase the number of
> sharks (50-200) though it's still noticeable with only one shark. This
> seems very counter-intuitive to me. Does anybody else see this?  Any
> idea what could be happening?

IIRC this came up in a discussion with Michel Dänzer and someone else
some months ago. I noticed that glxgears was slightly faster without TCL
on my Radeon 7500. We argued that TCL means that the graphics card has
to do more work and the CPU less. If your CPU is not otherwise occupied
you can get higher framerates without TCL as the work is sort of shared
by CPU and graphics card. You should also notice a higher CPU
utilisation without TCL.

If you get big differences in frame rates it may be something else, though.

> Thanx,
>
> jOrGe W.

Felix

 Felix       ___\_e -_/___/ __\___/ __\_____   You can do anything,
   Kühling  (_____\Ä/____/ /_____/ /________)  just not everything
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]       \___/   \___/   U        at the same time.