On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 04:36:33PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
>On Mer, 2003-07-16 at 15:08, Alex Deucher wrote:
>> Support for HW accelerated indirect rendering is just a matter of
>> restructuring some library interfaces so that GLX commands can get
>> decoded and sent to the hardware rather than the sw renderer.  It's in
>> the pipeline for future development by the DRI folks, but if it were
>> sponsored, it might happen sooner.  there would be few if any changes
>> needed in the hardware drivers.
>
>I never understood why XFree86 couldnt simply fork() a DRI client and
>forward the stream ?

That approach has been suggested several times over the last couple
of years.  I haven't seen anything to say that it wouldn't be a
feasible solution (looks like the obvious approach to me).  I think
it's just one of those things where nobody has needed it enough to
actually implement it.

David
--
David Dawes
Founder/committer/developer                     The XFree86 Project