I'd be interested in this project.  I beleive there was a project a
while back that did something like this using xnest.  it was called
transluxent and was kind of a hack.
http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~unk6/transluxent/

Also, speaking of pbuffers, Alan Cox mentioned that he a received a
code drop from via that had pbuffer support for savage and maybe
CLE266.  did that ever make it into CVS?  I'd hate to see it get lost.

Alex