On Maw, 2003-09-16 at 00:54, Bryan W. Headley wrote:
> To me the interesting thing is the mpeg-2 decoder. VIA's Castlerock has
> one, too. Does anyone have any thoughts as to where an interface into
> these decoders should exist? E.g., userland, XF drivers, kernel?

It depends on the hardware, and on getting docs/code. Right now we don't
have source to them to speculate, although the free driver currently
supports Xv so does part of the work.

The mpeg stuff can end up in several places. Some digital TV cards have
kernel side mpeg decoding needed due to their design, others feed mpeg2
streams to software decode (user space).

If the mpeg engine uses interrupts or uses DMA then you almost always
need to have it kernel side, otherwise X is a good place for it because
it means you can share the code with *BSD and others.

For the VIA stuff I don't know what will happen yet.