On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 06:42, Daniel Vogel wrote:

> FWIW, a G450 is below minimum system requirements and I'm curious to hear
> how well cards like the Radeon 8500, which currently is the fastest DRI
> accelerated card out there if I'm not mistaken, handle running the game.

I've tried the demo (ut2003demo-lnx-2206.sh.bin) with a radeon 9000
using XFree86-4.3.0-24 (redhat rawhide from a week ago or so) without
much luck. Graphics was severly corrupted and the game crashed after a
few seconds. Setting R200_NO_TCL gave slightly different corruptions,
but the game still crashed.

I then tried dri cvs from freedesktop.org, and it worked 100%, no
corruptions and didn't crash, it was however slightly slower than in
win98. I didn't try to tweak any of the settings so it's possible it can
run even better.

Except for NWN, which didn't work at all good (lighting was all screwed
up), all the games & opengl programs I tried with cvs had noticable
performance improvements (in particular Enemy Territory went from barely
playable to on-par with win98).

Test system was duron 1.3ghz 512mb ram running 2.6.0-test4-mm5.

I just have to say that 2.6.0-test + mm patches is an amazing desktop
kernel. I compiled dri from cvs and a new kernel at the same time, while
also using tvtime to watch tv and emacs (gnus) to read news, and
evolution, epiphany, x-chat & rhythmbox was running in the background,
and the box remained as responsive as it was without the load!

--

Ronny V. Vindenes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>