Michel Dänzer wrote:
On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 18:27, Ian Romanick wrote:

Helge Hafting wrote:

OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 3.4.2

You have a really, really old version. Please try one of the more recent binary snapshots. They can be found under "Downloads" on http://dri.sourceforge.net/ . You'll need the most recent radeon-*.tar.bz2 and extras/XFree86.bz2. Make sure that CONFIG_DRM_RADEON build it as a module. The binary snapshot will replace the Radeon kernel module with a newer one. If CONFIG_DRM_RADEON built it into the kernel, it won't be updated. :)

Agreed, except that there's a more convenient way for Debian users. :)
See http://dri.sourceforge.net/snapshots/README.Debian .

Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately, xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk from
http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk-sid/
hangs my machine rather quickly.
X comes up, and can be used in any way for a few seconds.  (Rarely
enough to log in via xdm)  Then it just hangs - wether I actually
do anything or merely watch it "time out fast and die".

The hang is a bad one, not even the sysrq key can be used to
force a reboot.

Other experimental debian packages with X 4.3.0 has the same
problem, so I guess it is a radeon driver issue and not something
dri specific.

Helge Hafting