Right. And certainly now with the new linear allocator the Xserver can
manage the whole lot.

Does the X server make any promises about preserving the contents of the fb memory? EG, if there's a VT switch, will the contents be saved somehow?

No. No preservation is done. We need to invalidate everything.

That's a problem, as the only way we can do things like accelerated CopyTexSubImage() and single-copy textures is if the FB contents are guarenteed to be preserved. That's (I believe) one of the goals of Ian's in-kernel memory manager.

The other is to organize some sort of fair sharing of texture memory between competing contexts. I would guess that the X server memory manager doesn't try to do this sort of thing?

Keith