Jon Smirl wrote:
--- Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

As I recall, no.  As it is now, only a single instance of Xfree86 can
use the DRI.  I think it might be possible by adapting the resume code
to reinitialize state and agp on a VT switch, however, I may be wrong.

Am I right in thinking that suspend/resume and VT switch should be the same piece of code with slightly different behavior? Does the suspend/resume code save all of the texture memory and AGP state? Or does it rebuild it?

My first attempt at resume for the radeon resulted in the reinit hack (which Michel has since turned into a fantastic piece of work). This releases all resources at VT switch away and re-initialises them at VT switch-to. With the reinit patch, you would be able to run any number of DRI-using XFree86 instances, but texture memory and AGP state are not saved, they are simply reinitialised.

The new resume code doesn't release any resources (so it doesn't allow running multiply DRI-using instances of XFree86) but it re-initialises only hardware at every VT switch. Texture memory is not saved. AGP state is reinitialised.

I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks,
Charl