On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 22:32, Robin Cook wrote:

> I am running the 2.6.0-test8 kernel, and XFree86 4.3.99.14.
>
> I have tried it with both the 2.6.0-test8 drm module and the one from
> xfree86 4.3.99.14

Don't bother with the latter, the former is at least as current,
probably more so by now. DRI CVS is the only slightly better source for
the DRM than the 2.6 kernel. Shouldn't make a difference for this
problem though.

> When I run glxinfo it reports - Direct rendering: No
>
> lsmod reports
> Module                  Size  Used by
> radeon                119980  0
> agpgart                32684  0

[...]

> (WW) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP not available

agpgart is no longer enough, you need to load the chipset specific AGP
module. The following in /lib/modules/modprobe.conf does the right thing
for me:

install radeon  /sbin/modprobe uninorth-agp; /sbin/modprobe
--ignore-install radeon

(single line, my mailer probably wraps it)