David Dawes writes:
 > On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 02:39:49PM -0800, Jon Smirl wrote:
 > >I should be more specific, it's mapping the ROM into PCI space that the kernel
 > >doesn't know about. Of course the kernel knows about the mapping from PCI space
 > >to user space. During a hotplug event the kernel could map the new device on top
 > >of the ROM in PCI space.
 >
 > Doesn't it have enough information at the time the PCI space is mapped
 > into user space to know what that PCI space corresponds to, and/or to
 > know that if an area of PCI space has been mapped into user space (and
 > not subsequently unmapped) that it shouldn't be given to a newly inserted
 > device?
 >
 > Also, I think that unmapped PCI ROMs are only mapped in (to PCI and user
 > space) by XFree86 long enough to read their contents, but I'd need to
 > double check that.

Yes, this is what happens. It has to be done that way as some cards
share address decoders for a MEM and PCI ROM address range.

When the PCI ROM Base is not assigned to a same value we either try
to find a range (which I would like to leave to the kernel) or use
one of the PCI MEM bases which then have to mapped away.
Both can lead to problems. If the kernel can provide us with a function
that does this, the code for this can be moved to the OS layer with
the old code used as fallback for OSes that don't provide this
functionality.

Egbert.