Am 08.12.2003 18:57:14 schrieb(en) Ian Romanick:
> Keith Whitwell wrote:
> > Keith Whitwell wrote:
> >
> >> Is there any reason why these things are extern references rather than
> >> parameters to an initialization function?
> >>
> >> Basically by making them extern references, it means that the files
> >> cannot be compiled into a driver which doesn't use them - I guess this
> >> is the reason behind the recent rework of common/Imakefile.inc.
> >>
> >> It also means that you can't have two drivers for two different cards
> >> loaded in simultaneously, making hw-accelerated multihead impossible.
> >
> > This is of course not true.  I'm grumpy today.  But I would prefer not
> > to have the circular situation of the driver referring to symbols in
> > common/ and to have  common/ referring back to symbols defined in the
> > driver.
>
> Felix would be able to answer better, but I believe the reason was so
> that the config utility could load the *_dri.so and get the list of
> options for that driver.

Precisely. I forgot that myself for a moment. Anyway, it was specified
that way in all the revisions of the design document and noone
complained. ;-) So for the config tool they need to be external symbols
somewhere in the drivers. We could still specify them as parameters to
driParseOptionInfo to get rid of the dependency of common code on
driver-specific stuff. However, the bigger problem is that you need to
link with libexpat if you link with xmlconfig.o. I don't think we want
that in drivers that don't use config (yet), after all the trouble
people had with it.

Regards,
  Felix

 Felix       ___\_e -_/___/ __\___/ __\_____   You can do anything,
   Kühling  (_____\Ä/____/ /_____/ /________)  just not everything
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]       \___/   \___/   U        at the same time.