Am Dienstag, 09. Dezember 2003 11:15 schrieb Keith Whitwell:
> Jon Smirl wrote:
>
> > My current thinking on this is to do it the DRM driver but store the
> > allocation
 data in normal system RAM. This would allow the allocation
> > routines to function without touching the framebuffer.
> >
> > I would really like to make sure that DRM drivers can function without
> > having to
 map the framebuffer into kernel address space. We only have
> > 1GB of kernel address space to work with and the kernel has to live in
> > that 1GB too. 3dlabs is shipping a 512MB card now:
> > http://www.3dlabs.com/product/wildcatvp/vppro/index.htm and a 1GB model
> > is in
 the works. It is just going to be impossible to map these future
> > cards into the kernel.

> > I've also been poking around a little in the radeon DRM driver. It seems
> > to be
 mapping the framebuffer into kernel space but I never see any
> > place that the driver code touches it.
>

> Correct.  There's nowhere the kernel needs to touch the framebuffer.

You _can have_ 4 GB for ages from Mitsubishi/TeraRecon.
http://www.terarecon.com/products/vp_1000_1_prod.html

BTW Very cool board together with VTK.

Greetings,
        Dieter