On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:02:44 +0100
"Mario Premke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> the new SavageDDR DRI driver compiles and seems to run. glxinfo doesn't show
> 'Indirect Rendering' any more, but starting q3demo or a
> 3D screensaver the X-Server crashes and restarts, is that what is meant by: ' ... -
> almost certain lockups on vt switches and when
> moving 3D windows ...' ?

No. Lockup means that the Xserver starts using nearly 100% CPU and is
frozen or veeery slooow. Usually I can still reboot via remote login or
by pushing the power button (which is caught by acpid that does a clean
shutdown).

I havn't seen my Xserver crash and restart yet. If you could find out
why it crashes (segmentation fault?) and where that would be very
helpful. For a start look at the end of your /var/log/XFree86.0.log.

> Another thing: I first tried to start the X-Server in my building directory, X
> started and worked (in 1280x1024), but complained
> about not finding the Xlib DRI extension

That's because you need more than just the new Xserver installed but
also the new 2D driver, DRI extension module, GLX extension module and
glcore for indirect rendering.

> - so after a 'make install' DRI worked, but now I only get a resolution of 1024x768
> instead
> of 1280x1024, although I didn't touch the Modes in the Screen-Section of XF86Config
> ... any hints ?? [Somewhere in XFree86.0.log it
> says: '(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (hsync out of range)' is
> that possible, although it worked without DRI?]

The savage-2-0-0-branch has a completely different 2D driver. Try adding
appropriate HorizSync and VertRefresh lines to your monitor section in
XF86Config-4. If that doesn't help take another look at your
XFree86.0.log. It should point out what hsync value the driver assumes
and where it comes from.

> Thanks,
> Mario

Felix

 Felix       ___\_e -_/___/ __\___/ __\_____   You can do anything,
   Kühling  (_____\Ä/____/ /_____/ /________)  just not everything
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]       \___/   \___/   U        at the same time.