Felix Kühling wrote:
A patch is attached. The order in which state atoms are emitted now is
pretty arbitrary. It may be worth finding out exactly which permutations
of state changes trigger the lockup. In the interest of security we
could detect them in the DRM driver and emit a 3D idle to prevent an
engine lockup. Finding all these permutations would take a lot of time
(and reboots) though and it may even be too late to prevent a lockup
when such a condition is detected. But maybe someone with hardware docs
has a good guess, like dependencies of different state change commands
that could cause inconsistencies if certain pairs of them are emitted in
the wrong order.

On the other hand we may just clean up my hack and be content with it.
How do people feel about this?

Do you think that this could be useful for r200, too?

I can't tell and I don't know about reproducible lockups on r200. If you
are experiencing lockups, you can try if this helps.

I don't experience reproducible lockups (well I do with multiple simultaneous OGL apps like everyone else but this is a different topic), but I've attached that patch to the r200 driver anyway.
This did change the random color flashing all apps with a bit more complex lighting experience (like nwn, specviewperf 7.1) quite a bit - sometimes it got worse, sometimes better, but definitely different which I think is remarkable (well of course if I didn't suspect this I wouldn't have tried it).
I've just used the order of the atoms as defined in r200_context.h, I have no idea what the correct order would be (if such a thing even exists).

Roland