Well I've traced this a bit, an operation appears to be hanging the
chipset,

Keith, maybe you can tell me, in i830_span.c you no longer have a HW_LOCK
or HW_UNLOCK defined for the i830 has something happened elsewhere that
makes these unnecessary,

what blender seems to be doing is loading up a string of glBitmaps to
create its frontend, and after a bunch of these a HW_LOCK call
from i810WriteRGBAPixels_565 calls DMAFinish which doesn't seem to have
finished for some reason from the previous one, any ideas why this might
happen?

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person