--- Felix Kühling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]
> > If you are interested in trying Christian's driver, I have plopped
> the
> > binary on my web site, http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html.
> >
> > As a side note, the VIA-submitted driver source will NOT make it
> into
> > XFree86 4.4.0 -- it will still be my code.  The DRI code needs too
> much
> > integration.  The porting work is actively going on, however, so a
> > solution is in sight.
>
> Right. Alex Deucher is working on the 2D driver. Personally I have
> doubts that the VIA code will ever make it into XFree86 in more or
> less
> its current form. It's based on a very old version of your driver, so
> it
> probably lacks lots of bug fixes in your newer drivers. IMHO using it
> as
> a base for a new XFree86 driver bears a big risk of reintroducing
> many
> old bugs. Instead I'd prefer to integrate new features from the VIA
> driver (DRI awareness, XvMC, interpolating Xv, ...) into the current
> driver in XFree86. I know it would be a lot of work (either way) so
> I'm
> in no position to make a decision. Alex, what's your opinion on this
> subject?

I'm beginning to agree.  I've started trying to integrate non-bios mode
setting from Tim's driver into VIA's but it's tough since the mode code
and gdb setup are structured so differently.  It might be easier to go
the other way as you mentioned.  I haven't looked at hard that will be
yet.  I might give it a look at some point this week... maybe tomorrow.

Alex