I've compiled compiled and installed Xfree86, DRI from cvs, with mesa cvs,
last night, thismorning I confirmed it all worked by loading the radeon drm
and running glxinfo showing direct rendering enabled

however, when I ran glxgears, I get a libGL error saying it couldn't load
the drm and it was reverting to indirect rendering :/

Any ideas at all? a step I missed?
grabed cvs of xfree86 xc, dri xc, mesa
make World of xfree86, make install
make World of dri, make install
move radeon.ko to /lib/module/2.6.2-rc3-mm1/kernel/drivers/char/drm/
insmod radeon.ko
startx
glxgears to confirm

There are No errors in the xfree86 log, this seems to be a libGL error

The card has the r250 chip.