On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:51:58 +0000
Sérgio Monteiro Basto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think, can be not Mesa-5.0.2 (last version) but one Mesa-5.0.2cvs
> version.
> And thinking better, the question is, if we have any code thats depends
> on Mesa-5.0.2 code or for example should be no problem is I update Mesa
> to 6.0

First of all, we didn't modify Mesa to make it work with the driver. But
the interface between Mesa and the 3D driver changes slightly with every
new Mesa version. Therefore upgrading Mesa would require some updates in
the driver as well. At some point we're going to move the savage driver
to Mesa CVS, so it'll use the very latest Mesa development code, like
all the other drivers do by now. ATM, I think we can live with some Mesa
bugs. Let's get the driver in shape first. I'd like to make it work with
SavageMX/IX chips first. After that we'll need to redesign the kernel
driver in order to improve security and allow IRQ handling. After that I
believe we can move to Mesa CVS.

That's my conservative plan. Rationale: As long as the 3D driver and the
kernel driver change a lot we should keep them in the same CVS
repository in order to minimize the risk of incompatibilities and
version mismatches. I'm not going to do proper versioning with forward
and backward compatibility with this experimental code.

> Thanks
>
> --
> Sérgio M. B.

Regards,
  Felix

P.S.: Sorry for bouncing this thread back and forth between dri-users
and dri-devel. This mail is really about development issues.