--- Felix K&#252;hling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just took a brief look at the savage 2D driver. It looks like the
> COB
> is never enabled. On Savage4 and ProSavages it explicitly left
> disabled
> in SavageInitialize2DEngine. On the Savage3D/MX/IX that function is
> never even called. Yet I'm surprised that the 3D driver doesn't crash
> and burn all the time, since it assumes quite a large COB. Am I
> missing
> something?

According to Tim (savage_driver.c):

/*
 * The Savage4 and ProSavage have COB coherency bugs which render
 * the buffer useless.  COB seems to make the SuperSavage slower.
 * We disable it.
 */

Hence, I left it disabled.

SavageInitialize2DEngine() gets called for all chips in
SavageWriteMode() when using the bios.  It looks like
SavageInitialize2DEngine() should be called in the non-bios case as
well... I'm not sure why it is commented out.  I'll check into it.

Alex