Chris Ison wrote:
I'm wondering though why the heck quakeworld actually uses so much
texsubimage2d calls. Typically, games specify textures at level load
time and leave them completely alone after that - at least those games I
profiled with oprofile never showed texsubimage2d calls. Is there
something special about the quakeworld 3d engine?

dynamic lightmaps, any lightmap that has changed due to muzzle flash,
rockets, lightening, or anything else that is putting out light. I am told
alot of FPS use lightmaps and alter those lightmaps for such things.

But, if you have a better method, please feel free to comment. Vertex
lighting is not an option to be considered, if you've seen it in Q3 which
uses lightmaps and Vertex lighting(optional) you will see that it is just
plain wrong in places due to the size of the triangles.

Ah, I always thought that the lightmaps are static, and muzzle flash etc. are achieved with vertex lighting. The obvious solution is to use smaller triangles ;-).

It's also possible that other games I've profiled didn't show texsubimage2d calls because they use a "better" texture format and thus the function calls are pretty fast - I could imagine that quite a few chips can't handle npot-aligned formats natively.

Roland

------------------------------------------------------- SF.Net is sponsored by: Speed Start Your Linux Apps Now. Build and deploy apps & Web services for Linux with a free DVD software kit from IBM. Click Now! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1356&alloc_id=3438&op=click -- _______________________________________________ Dri-devel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dri-devel