> Alex Deucher wrote:
>> --- Thomas Hellstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi!
>>>
>>>Via have, some time ago, released a drm module which seems quite
>>>clean
>>>and a dri / OpenGL implementation which Alan Cox fixed up some time
>>>ago
>>>and which is downloadable from your site. I don't think it has been
>>>ported to be compatible with dri CVS though.
>>>
>>>The thing with the drm module seems to be another story. A lot of
>>>people
>>>are patching their kernels with Via's source and are using it
>>>together
>>>with Via's precompiled via_dri.so.
>>>
>>>Also there is an ongoing project, (unichrome at sourceforge) the goal
>>>of
>>>which is to develop and try to fix up the via X drivers, and submit
>>>relevant patches to the proper code maintainers. Currently we are
>>>focusing on the via XFree86 driver, and an XvMC extension for the HW
>>>Mpeg2 decoder (Which uses DRI /  DRM for register / memory mapping
>>>and
>>>resource locking). But some small changes have been made also to the
>>>Via
>>>drm driver (Wait on vblank support).
>>>
>>>At this point it would be very nice to have the via drm module in dri
>>>
>>>CVS, so that it could eventually be included in the kernel. While the
>>>
>>>via_dri.so OpenGL driver might not be there yet, the drm module might
>>>be.
>>>
>>>Please advice on how to proceed and what is needed to make this
>>>happen.
>>

>> Erdi Chen maintains the cle266/unichrome 3D driver in mesa cvs.  You
>> should probably talk to him regarding changes to the 3D driver.  For
>> the 2D driver and DRM, no one has yet stepped up to put the latest code
>> in DRI cvs.  If you would like to maintain the via driver in DRI cvs, I
>> think you should be able to get cvs access to the DRI/mesa trees so you
>> can get your code in.  What do the other DRI develpers think?  It would
>> be nice to have the full suite of 3D capable cards with DRI support
>> available in the DRI.
>
> Yes, there's certainly no need for splinter projects.  If you're doing
> work on
> DRI or Mesa, let us know who's active & we can get them access.  It's
> ususally
> nice to see some patches first, but if there's an active project elsewhere
> that we can check out & get a feel for, we might be able to skip that
> step.
>
> Keith

Hi!

Thanks for your replies.

First I'd like to stress that the unichrome project is by no means thought
of as a 'replacement' project for any of the components involved. It was a
way for us to coordinate some development going by different persons on
the via forum with a common goal to enhance the via drivers, and to ensure
code quality and stability before it is submitted as patches to XFree86 or
dri.

What's important for us currently is to have an _official_ drm module
available in dri cvs to base our Xfree86 2d XvMC component development on,
so there won't be different customized via drm modules circling around as
kernel patches. The ideal thing for us would be if there was a maintainer
of, or contact person for, the via drm module within the dri project to
whom we could send patches for review/possible inclusion.

Anyway, I'll try to wrap up what we have (latest Via official drm code
with some minor mods) and put together a patch against current dri cvs
( programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel )
post it, and hopefully get some feedback on how to proceed.

Best regards
Thomas Hellström