On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 22:37:38 -0600
ajax <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Friday 26 March 2004 21:47, Robert F Merrill wrote:
> > ajax wrote:
> > >There's several ways to fix this obviously, either bring back the Xaw
> > > headers, stop building useless binaries, or just document the need for
> > > the headers on the Building page.  #3 is probably easiest.
> > >
> > >- ajax
> >
> > Why do we need to build glxgears and glxinfo? And is the server binary
> > really necessary?
> > Why do we build libexpat and libfreetype? libxdmcp, libXv?
>
> glx* make sense to build; the DRI/Mesa combo implements GLX, GLX utilities are
> therefore in the right package.  The others make varying amounts of sense.
> Really there ought to be GL binding modules for the various X (or Cairo, or
> whatever) servers, parallel to the way DRM has shared and OS-dependent parts,
> and no server needs gets built by the DRI tree at all.  Until that happens,
> DRI more or less needs to provide a server binary somehow.  Which drags in
> all sorts of other crap.

The server is needed since the binary module interface changes from time
to time. XFree86 4.3 servers can't load recent 2D driver modules
compiled from DRI CVS.

> FreeType, xdmcp, and Xv are probably needed to make the resultant server
> binary something that people would actually use.  expat, as I understand it,
> is needed in the DRI drivers themselves for the XML configuration files.
> Xaw, on the other hand, is needed only to make this one utility program build
> - one that properly belongs bundled with some other package anyway.
>
> A quick bit of find/grep magic reveals that xf86cfg is the only component with
> any Xaw dependency.  It's pretty useless, the user probably already has it if
> they want it, no one ever uses it, and we haven't put any changes into it so
> it's pointless to maintain a copy.  I'm in favor of just blowing it away
> personally, but if that makes life harder for whoever imports the DRI into a
> given X server package, then documenting the need for the headers is fine
> too.

There is an option in host.def to enable/disable building xf86cfg. It
could be disabled by default. I've always disabled it for my own builds.

> I'm all for pruning the tree, but one step at a time is better.
>
> - ajax

Felix