Felix Kühling wrote:
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 14:50:45 -0700
Ian Romanick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Paul Heldens wrote:

I found on the list that this has always been broken in dri because of a
hardware issue.(?)

Example of affected apps; gtkradiant, blender,maya(hearsay)

Questions:

Is there any other way for an enduser to get around the inability of
drawing gl points larger than 1x1 pixel? perhaps a Mesa setting of
somekind?

The bug is in the application. There is a query for an application to determine the maximum point size, and the R200 driver returns 1.0. The driver cannot be held accountable for apps that don't follow the rules.

I can't test it right now, but IIRC the radeon drivers even limit the
size of antialiased points to 1. This seems to be compliant with the
specs, but wouldn't it be nicer to draw antialiased points as software
fallbacks and not limit their size (beyond the mesa limits, if there are
any), if the hardware doesn't support point antialiasing?
Even nicer would be if it would just be implemented in the driver. I'm not sure what the hardware actually can do or not, but apparently the r200/rv250 even accept a vertex format which includes the vertex point size as a parameter. And both ATI's and XIG's driver support larger point sizes. It's possible they "emulate" it with point sprites (which the hardware also supports natively), I've no idea. I've tried enabling other point sizes (just as others) without success, since the point size register doesn't seem to have any effect on normal GL_POINT primitives. The gpu supports quite a few primitives which are not supported in the driver, though without documentation it's hard to tell what exactly they are good for...

Roland