Hi Felix :)

  Thank you for the answers, more questions below:

> >   2. What is "state" ? More specifically:
>
> I think I can answer some of these state-related questions after my
> experience with porting the savage driver to Savage3D-based chips.
>

> >         A) I noticed that state holds contents of a lot of registers,
> >            most of which are not present in R300.
> >
> >            Is there a safe and easy way to to remove their usage ?
>
> There is no simple way. It could be the most important part of porting
> the driver. You'll have to figure out which registers in the R300 have
> equivalent functionality to the r200 registers.

There are no equivalent registers, however I do not care about this.
At the moment all I want is to have a driver that does not lock up the
machine so I can start exercising R300-specific registers.

I.e. I would be perfectly happy to rip out TCL-specific registers and have
colors come out wrong as long as I don't have to reboot after each try.

> Take a look at r200_state.c. These functions (mostly) are invoked by
> Mesa when OpenGL state changes. They program the registers. So you'll
> have to change the register definitions for r300 and modify/rewrite
> r200_state.c.

I tried putting a return in the beginning of each of the functions in
r200_state.c and I am still getting a lockup. I suspect that vertex or
texture handling code also likes to emit part of the state.

> >         B) When is state updated and how ? I assume that it is written
> >            only when registers change - so is marking registers dirty
> >            done by driver only or by Mesa internals too ?
>
> Those registers are driver-private stuff. So they are only changed by
> driver functions. Dirty state is written to the hardware in
> r200EmitState in r200_cmdbuf.c.

Excellent !

                          best

                            Vladimir Dergachev