From: "Felix Kühling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Mark Cass" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2004 5:25 AM
Subject: Re: savage texture compression - REALLY CLOSE

Hi Mark,

Your description of the problems sounds like the tiling code does the
right thing. However, in the driver there were originally some constants
for 4bit per pixel texture formats. I thought they were for compressed
texture formats. For example one of the texture formats is named
TFT_S3TC4Bit. There are now some guessed numbers in the tileInfo_*[0]
for 4bit texture formats. They are completely untested as the driver
didn't support any such texture formats so far. Have you tried playing
with these?

Felix

On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:30:24 -0700
"Mark Cass" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> guys,
>
> as i have mentioned before i am working on adding s3tc texture compression
support to the savage driver. i have added code to the savage driver based
upon the radeon driver (and patches). the code i have added only supports
uploading pre-compressed textures. as also previously mentioned, i have
tested the code and texture on a different computer that uses nvidia's
driver and everything works.

> as it stands now, i have the compressed texture showing up but it does not
look right. the colors are all messed up. the proportions and layout of the
texture are correct.

> i set the size of the texture from the compressedSize variable in the
texture struct. i set the width and height from the formulas in the radeon
driver. width = (ImageWidthUncompressed / 4) x 16. height =
ImageHeightUncompressed / 4. the "16" in the width formula is used for DXT3
and DXT5, "8" is used for DXT1. this width and height are used as input to
the tile upload code, as well as inputs to the texture registers (width &
height in power of 2).

> i have tried using all possible internal formats for s3tc, as enumerated
in savage_bci.h, but none make the picture look any better. in fact, most
make it look worse so i think i have these right.

> i have also tried using a diffeerent bytes per texel which affects how the
tiles are uploaded. currently i am using 1 byte per texel.

> it seems that the right amount of data is getting uploaded. i have played
with the formulas (i.e. width and height just divided by 4 instead of the
current disproportional values) and the texture appears distorted in
proportion and composition.

> does anyone have an idea?
> mark

| Felix Kühling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |