On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 01:45, Mike Mestnik wrote:
> --- Jon Smirl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > There are two types of VTs - text and graphical. It is only practical to
> > have a
> > single graphical VT because of the complexity of state swapping a
> > graphical VT
> > at VT swap.
> >
> Right now we can all-ready run X on multiple VTs and with DRI-reinit can
> run GL apps on all of them.  It may noy be the most elegant thing but it
> workes.  We need the OS to keep state, even graphical, GART and all.  I
> don't see how a 128M GART is diffrent then 2Gb system memory.  Should we
> have GART swap space on the HD, a GART partition?

I don't think so. The current scheme simply keeps clients from touching
the hardware while switched away by blocking the hardware lock and
invalidates all their hardware state when switching back. Maybe this
could be extended with per-VT hardware locks. If something needs to be
preserved while switched away, (a copy of) it should be kept in good old
normal virtual memory.

--
Earthling Michel DÃnzer      |     Debian (powerpc), X and DRI developer